A chronicle of my escapades and estudios españoles during a 6-month study abroad program in Seville, Spain... enjoy :)

Thursday, March 3, 2011

The ABC's of Granada: Alhambra, Baclava, and Caves

Oh wow it really has been too long. But in reality I really have been too busy! So much has happened in the past 2 weeks (I seriously can't believe it has already been 2 weeks and now it's already MARCH!). One of the highlights: our program had a group excursion to Granada, a city in the south of Spain known for La Alhambra, a Moorish palace that has some of the most amazing architecture I've ever seen.
So I know this is somewhat lazy, but I think I'll just list out my favorite parts about Granada because I have so much catching up to do in my life right now.

  • After dropping off our luggage at our hotel in Granada (which was super legit, by the way), my friends Natalie, Leann, Catherine, and I set off on foot to explore the city.  Leann, Natalie, and I were really lucky to have Catherine with us because she lived in Granada a few summers ago and knows the city pretty well (not to mention Catherine pretty damn cool and fun, anyways). So first we walked along the main street and stopped to share a bottle of wine at a cafe with a view of La Alhambra. After some great people watching and conversation, we set off once again to find Catherine's old school. 
Leann and I with La Alhambra in the background
  • We stumbled upon this garden-y place and took some goofy pictures. Definitely our most tourist-y moment of the day :)
  • After finding Catherine's old school and apartment, we decided to scale the mountain in search of caves and the cave-dwellers. Well, we found them! And we also found a lesbian rock band jammin out on the mountain. that was cool. and when we got to the top. oh my god. the view. So goigeous. Snow-capped mountains, green meadows, old ruins, horses grazing, Spaniards picnicking. Absolute perfection. 




  • One of my favorite parts of the trip was when we found the "arab street" with all these arabic restaurants and pastry shops and tea/hookah joints. Baclava in Granada can really give any baclava I've tried in Turkiye a run for its money (except Babanne's of course :). I even bought extra to bring back to Señora Ana, my host mom. 
  • So going out in Granada was rrrrullll fun. We pre-gamed in the hotel, then bar-hopped a little, then ended up at Camboria, which is a discoteca in a cave. Literally, a cave discoteca. It was pretty fun, the only downside was that it was basically ALL americanos and american music. They played some unexpected stuff, both good and AWFUL-- (i'm still a little emotionally scarred from the nickelback song they played, during which I was forced to stop dancing and sit in protest).
Natalie, Leann, Catherine, and I being all cozy before we head out for the night! 

ME! in a cave discoteca!

Samantha and I at Camboria! 

  • The next morning was a little rough-- we had to meet in the lobby at 945 to leave for our visit to the Alhambra. The only good part of waking up that early was the breakfast at the hotel. HOLY SHIZA. Lox, tomatoes, croissants, eggs-- anything and everything you could want, all super fresh and delicious. 
  • Best for last: La Alhambra. Anyone who can appreciate architecture should visit La Alhambra once in his or her lifetime. Wow. It was seriously my most favorite architectural visit thus far. I prefer to show pictures rather than attempt a description that does not do it justice. 








As you can see, it was a beautiful and fun trip to Granada! 


1 comment:

  1. FINALLY A POST
    i bookmarked this site and i check it daily... thank god i didnt have to see jungle fevah again. looks like youre having a blast, the excursions look super fun!

    AND YOUR BDAYS COMING UPPPP!
    ahh i wish i could celebrate contigo!

    ReplyDelete