A chronicle of my escapades and estudios españoles during a 6-month study abroad program in Seville, Spain... enjoy :)

Friday, February 11, 2011

"Did You See That Giddy?"

Wow... so much for keeping up with the blog. But it's been a busy week, what can I say? Last week we finished our orientation at the center and took our grammar exam AND we've been procrastinating/working on our final essays about Spanish culture. AND we started classes at the University of Sevilla this week! I will *hopefully* be taking 5 of these classes: History of Film, History of International Relations, the Anthropology of Social Marginalization, and the Anthropology of Environment and Territory... and my potential class at the law school, the International Protection of Human Rights starts monday so we'll see about that one. We also have to take a class at the center and I chose creative writing and I think I'm really going to like it! If all goes as planned, I'll be done with classes by 4 everyday and not have class on Fridays. That way I can hopefully get a job teaching kids english and travel without feeling guilty about missing Friday classes.

But anyways the classes seem like they're going to be más o menos hard and fun. Hard because everything's in Spanish and fun because I'll have a chance to meet some more Sevillanos.... even though it will pose more of a challenge than I expected because there are so many foreigners in my classes! I mean I was expecting a handful of study abroad kids in every class but, damn, not half the class! My history of film class seems to be the best with probably 6 or 7 study abroad-ers and then 20-ish native Sevillanos. I am looking forward to my law class because I think there's supposed to be fewer foreigners in the law school.

Speaking of foreigners we met some Sevillanos last weekend! (I realize that that doesn't make much sense.) They were super nice and they taught us some spanish slang. For instance, the title of this post was inspired by what they taught us. A giddy is a foreigner, usually an american, and right after we were taught the word we ended up being called giddies on our way to the club. so i wonder how often we were being called that before and just never noticed because we thought people were talking about how happy we were. The other word they taught us was "lote," which directly translates to rum and coke, but more generally means getting drunk with liquor and then going to party (at least that's what I got from it). The guys we met invited us to lote and then go to Buddha (a disco here) with them this weekend.

One more thing about last weekend: We watched the Super Bowl in Spain! We found a bar called Flarrehty's that was having a super bowl fiesta where you could pay a $12 cover and watch the game while having a full buffet of chips & guacamole, wings, hot dogs, and french fries, and then 2 drink tickets (I drank lots of heineken). AMURICA. So basically the whole game my friends and I sat on the bar (all the other seats in the house were taken, but we ended up getting the best seats in the house) and explained the game of American football to our cute Irish bartender, Peter. He cheered on the Packers with Kendra and I, mainly because he decided Aaron Rodgers looked like more of a legit quarterback than Ben Roethlisberger, which is totally true. Kendra, Leann, and I ended up staying until the end of the game, which was about 430 our time, when we had to get up at 830 for class the next day. But it was all worth it when towards the end of the game some crazy beautiful dutchmen came up to us and needed some explanations of this weird american game. oh yeah, and the Packers won. great night.

hmmm what else. well as I'm writing this I am about to go to bed but i had to update my blog first because I think bailey and some other people are about to kill me. So here I am. but anyways. I just got back from a salsa club. Oh boy. I was a fan... Salsa dancing is soooo sexyyyy! and So fun! Natalie and I really had no idea what we were doing so we just twirled each other around and shook our hips a lot and once in a while we would shimmy at each other. I'm sure I looked like a fool but it felt super fun so I was all for it! And we (Catherine, Natalie, Leann, and I) definitely had a "Sex in the City moment" when Catherine told us about her "I wonder if people have sex they way that they dance" theory. It was quite a conversation. Before that we were in the 'hood Alameda at our favorite bar there called 84. Cool people, reasonably priced drinks, feel-good music... overall great time! And I had my friend Carole with me who is visiting for the weekend! (For those of you who haven't met Carole, she is a super cool Parisian girl who stayed at my house a lot last summer while she was doing an internship at Gill Industries.) Anyways, Carole got here earlier today and I showed her around Sevilla a little bit but tomorrow we'll do some more tourist-y stuff so I better get to bed so I can be on top of my game.
Buenas noches, mis amores!

2 comments:

  1. ooh lovely! good luck with your classes! you'll have to teach me how to salsa; i've only done it in zumba. you'll be happy to know that i pulled out my dance move last night...many times..FINALLY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that seriously makes me so happy son... maybe ill break out your dance move at the discoteca tonight to honor you finally being able to do it again :)

    ReplyDelete